1) Ominous (Adjective) – अशुभ
Meaning: giving the worrying impression that something bad is going to happen; threateningly inauspicious.
Synonyms: threatening, menacing, baleful
Antonyms: promising, auspicious, propitious
Usage: “there were ominous dark clouds gathering overhead”
2) Prognosticated (Verb) – भविष्यद्वाणी करना
Meaning: foretell or prophesy (a future event).
Synonyms: forecast, predict, prophesy
Usage: “the economists were prognosticating financial Armageddon”
3) Belied (Verb) – झुठलाना
Meaning: fail to give a true impression of (something).
Synonyms: contradict, be at odds with
Antonyms: testify to, reveal
Usage: “his lively, alert manner belied his years”
4) Stringent (Adjective) – कड़ी से कड़ी
Meaning: strict, precise, and exacting.
Synonyms: strict, firm, rigid
Antonyms: lenient, flexible
Usage: “stringent guidelines on air pollution”
5) Malaise (Noun) – अस्वस्थता
Meaning: a general feeling of discomfort, illness, or unease whose exact cause is difficult to identify.
Synonyms: unhappiness, restlessness, uneasiness
Antonyms: comfort, well-being
Usage: “a general air of malaise”
6) Abate (Verb) – न्यून होना
Meaning: become less intense or widespread.
Synonyms: subside, die down/away/out
Usage: “the storm suddenly abated”
7) Tweaking (Verb) – तेजी से मोड़ना या खींचना
Meaning: twist or pull (something) sharply.
Synonyms: twist, tug, pinch
Antonyms: allowance, blunder, coddling
Usage: “he tweaked the boy’s ear”
8) Ostensibly (Adverb) – प्रत्यक्ष तौर पर
Meaning: as appears or is stated to be true, though not necessarily so; apparently.
Synonyms: apparently, seemingly, on the face of it
Antonyms: genuinely, really, truly
Usage: “the party secretary resigned, ostensibly from ill health”
9) Vaunted (Verb) – डींग मारना
Meaning: boast about or praise (something), especially excessively.
Synonyms: acclaim, esteem, revere
Antonyms: criticized, unsung
Usage: “he was initially vaunted by the West for his leadership of the country”
10) Purge (Noun) – निष्कासन
Meaning: an abrupt or violent removal of a group of people.
Synonyms: removal, expulsion, ejection
Antonyms: acceptance, addition
Usage: “the savagery of the government’s political purges”
- 23rd July 2021 Current Affairs in English
- Hindu Editorial with Vocabulary: July Month– Day 23
- 23rd July 2021 Current Affairs in Hindi
- 21st & 22nd July 2021 Current Affairs in English
- 21st & 22nd July 2021 Current Affairs in Hindi
- Hindu Editorial with Vocabulary: July Month– Day 22
48 total views, 1 views today