International Day to Protect Education from Attack: 09th September
- The International Day to Protect Education from Attack is an international observance established by a unanimous decision of the United Nations General Assembly in 2020. It is observed on September 9 of each year.
- The purpose of the day is to raise awareness regarding the importance of safeguarding schools as places of protection and safety for students and educators and the need to keep education at the top of the public agenda.
- This day was established in 2020 and is supported by UNESCO and UNICEF, and co-sponsored by 62 countries. This day aims to raise awareness of the plight of millions of children living in war-affected countries.
World EV Day 2022: History and Significance
- World EV Day 2022 is observed on the 9th of September. World EV Day is observed to emphasize the importance of e-mobility. World EV day helps to spread awareness about sustainable transport facilities to the people.
- Air pollution is mainly caused by transportation, and EVs are one of the major alternatives to decrease air pollution. The first World EV Day was observed in 2020 and was an initiative of Sustainability Media Company Greet TV. Every year, World EV Day is observed on 9th September 2022.
300 New Cargo Terminals To Boost Railway Revenue
- The Union Cabinet had approved a policy on long-term leasing of Railways’ land as well as a proposal to develop 300 Gati Shakti cargo terminals over the next five years.
- A senior official said on Thursday that the Railways expect incremental revenue of at least ₹30,000 crores per annum from freight services when 300 Gati Shakti cargo terminals will be operational.
- Once all 300 are completed, Railways will get additional revenues of at least ₹30,000 crores. This estimate is very conservative.” The approved policy will help provide land leases for a longer period of up to 35 years as against five years at present. It is expected to generate about 1.25 lakh jobs.
Rajasthan launched 100 days urban employment guarantee scheme
- Rajasthan government launched an ambitious scheme to provide 100 days of employment to needy families in urban areas on the lines of the rural employment guarantee scheme MGNREGA.
- More than 2.25 lakh families have already registered for the Indira Gandhi Urban Employment Scheme which was proposed by chief minister Ashok Gehlot in the state budget this year.
- The state government has allocated Rs 800 crore for the scheme. Ministers in charge of districts will launch the scheme in their respective areas.
- The ratio of material cost and remuneration cost for getting the work approved and executed of “general nature” will be 25:75, while the ratio will be reversed for the works of “special nature”.
- Payments will be made in the bank accounts of the beneficiary within 15 days.
- People from the age group of 18 to 60 are eligible for the scheme. Interested families will get 100 days of employment. The scheme will be implemented in all the urban local bodies from September 9.
U.S. Announced 450 Million $ Package To Pakistan
- The Biden Administration has approved a whopping USD 450 million F-16 fighter jet fleet sustainment program for Pakistan.
- As a notification to the US Congress, the State Department has made a determination approving a possible foreign military sale of the F-16 case for sustainment and related equipment for an estimated cost of USD 450 million, arguing that this will sustain Islamabad’s capability to meet current and future counterterrorism threats by maintaining its F-16 fleet.
- This is the first major security assistance to Pakistan after Trump in 2018 had announced to stop all defense and security assistance to Pakistan alleging that Islamabad was not a partner in its fight against terrorism.
Mongolian President Ukhnaagiin Khurelsukh gifts horse ‘Tejas’ to Rajnath Singh
- The first Indian Defence Minister to visit Mongolia, Rajnath Singh was gifted a majestic horse “Tejas” by President Ukhnaagiin Khurelsukh. Seven years after Prime Minister Narendra Modi received a similar gift from the leadership of this country.
- In 2015, Prime Minister Modi received a special gift a brown racehorse from his then Mongolian counterpart Chimed Saikhanbileg during his historic visit to this country. The horse was named Kanthaka’.
- Defence Minister Singh is on a five-day visit to Mongolia and Japan with an aim to expand India’s strategic and defence ties with the two countries in the backdrop of evolving regional security matrix and geo-political turmoil.
The U.S. Unveils 2 Billion $ In Military Aid For Europe
- U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken made an unscheduled visit to Kyiv, as the Biden administration announced major new military aid worth more than $2 billion for Ukraine and other European countries threatened by Russia.
- In meetings with senior Ukrainian officials, Blinken said the Biden administration had notified Congress of its intent to provide $2 billion in long-term Foreign Military Financing to Ukraine and 18 of its neighbors, including NATO members and regional security partners, that are “most potentially at risk for future Russian aggression.”
Ajit Kumar Saxena selected for the CMD post in MOIL Limited
- The public enterprise’s selection board (PESB) has selected Ajit Kumar Saxena for the post of Chairman & Managing Director of “A” Miniratna Category-I Company, MOIL Limited.
- He is currently working as Director (Operations) of RINL-Visakhapatnam Steel Plant. He had taken charge as the Director (Operations) on October 17, 2019. Prior to this assignment, he had worked as Chief General Manager, Mills, IISCO, Burnpur, Steel Authority of India Ltd.
Indian FMCG company Pintola named Sunil Chhetri as Brand Ambassador
- Indian superfood brand Pintola, Fastmoving consumer goods (FMCG) company announced a renowned Indian Football Captain, Sunil Chhetri as Brand Ambassador.
- He was appointed as Pintola Brand Ambassador for his similar values of consistency and perfection with the company to promote the idea of a healthier India to this generation.
- In 20 years of Sunil’s professional career, this was his 1st ever FMCG collaboration. Pintola and Sunil Chhetri’s collaboration shall open newer realms of healthy eating options in the country, adding sports enthusiasts to its existing wide consumer base.
Dinesh Kumar Batra takes charge as CMD, Bharat Electronics Limited
- Dinesh Kumar Batra, Director (Finance) & CFO, has taken additional charge as Chairman & Managing Director (CMD) of Navratna Defence PSU Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) with effect from September 1, 2022.
- He was instrumental in the company’s move to foray into the Electro-Explosive segment. He is also credited with BEL entering into Li-on battery packs for automobiles to support the e-Mobility program of the Government of India. He is a member of the Board of BEL subsidiaries, BEL-Thales Systems Limited (BTSL) and BEL Optronic Devices Limited (BELOP).
Ranks and Reports
UNDP’s human development index: India ranks 132 out of 191 countries
- A report on the 2021 Human Development Index (HDI) is part of the Human Development Report 2021-2022 released by the United Nations Development Programme.
- The HDI measures the average achievement of a country in three basic dimensions of human development — a long and healthy life, education, and a decent standard of living. It is calculated using four indicators — life expectancy at birth, mean years of schooling, expected years of schooling, and the Gross National Income (GNI) per capita.
- India ranked 132nd among 191 countries and territories on the 2021 Human Development Index (HDI). In the 2020 report, India ranked 131st among 189 countries and territories. The decline in the country’s performance from its previous level was on account of a fall in life expectancy.
Adani Group to build Giga factories as part of $70 bn investment in clean energy by 2030
- Asia’s richest man Gautam Adani, a ports-to-power conglomerate will build three Giga factories for manufacturing solar modules, wind turbines, and hydrogen electrolyzers as part of a USD 70 billion investment in clean energy by 2030.
- Adani group is stepping up investments across the green energy value chain as it aims to become the world’s top renewable energy producer by 2030.
Agribazaar Launches Kisan Safalta Card for Agri Financing
- Agribazaar is a private sector electronic Agri mandi, launched ‘Agribazaar Kisan Safalta Card’. The Agribazaar Kisan Safalta Card is a quick and easy way to help farmers to meet their pre- and post-harvest farm requirements and allied expenses.
- Farmers can use Agribazaar Kisan Safalta Card to get financing. The funds provided can only be used to buy farm inputs and requirements.
- The card has a 12-month repayment period, which provides enough time to pay off the balance.
- The crop yield of each farmer determines the card’s limit, the financing scale, and maintenance costs.
- The amount of the card is adjustable for marginal farmers, which ranges from ₹10,000 to ₹50,000.
- The maximum limit of the Agribazaar Kisan Safalta Card can be increased annually based on crop yield and repayments.
- The repayment plan can be rescheduled if crop damage occurs as a result of natural disasters.
LIC Introduces Non-participating, Unit-linked New Pension Plus Plan 867
- Life Insurance Company (LIC) introduced a new plan, LIC New Pension Plus 867. The LIC New Pension Plus 867 is a non-participating, unit-linked insurance plan that again comes with “guaranteed addition”.
- The plan indicates that the LIC New Pension Plus 867 will provide guaranteed additions between 5% to 15% of the yearly premium.
- The LIC New Pension Plus 867 is a unit-linked pension plan which aims for building a corpus with systematic conversion into regular income on retirement after taking the annuity plan.
HDFC Bank unveils ‘Bank on Wheels’ in Gujarat
- HDFC Bank has unveiled its state-of-the-art ‘Bank on Wheel’ van in Gujarat. The Bank in Wheel van service will take banking services to unbanked villages.
- The Bank in Wheel van will visit remote villages located 10-25 km from the nearest branch to further financial inclusion, under the HDFC Bank’s newly initiated Rural Banking Business.
- The Bank in Wheel initiative is a part of a pilot project to offer banking services in unbanked locations.
- Customers can access 21 banking products as well as services.
- The Bank in Wheel van will be operational at each location for a specific period and will cover 3 villages in a day.
- The Bank in Wheel van will reach and visit each village twice a week.
- HDFC Bank is one of India’s Premier Banks providing a wide range of financial products and services using multiple distribution channels including a pan-India network.
Hindi writer Dr. Asghar Wajahat awarded with 31st Vyas Samman
- The 31st Vyas Samman was conferred on to well-known Hindi writer Dr Asghar Wajahat at a function in New Delhi.
- He has been chosen for the prestigious award for his play Mahabali. In his play Mahabali, Dr. Wajahat focuses on Mughal emperor Akbar and poet Tulsidas. Through the play, he attempts to answer who is the real Mahabali, the poet or the emperor.
- The Vyas Samman is given by K K Birla Foundation for outstanding literary work in Hindi authored by an Indian citizen published during the last 10 years.
- It carries an award of Rs 4 lakh along with a citation and a plaque. It was initiated in 1991.
- Ram Vilas Sharma received the inaugural Vyas Samman in 1991 for his work ‘Bharat ke Pracheen Bhasha Parivar aur Hindi’.
Diamond League 2022 Finals: Neeraj Chopra win with a throw of 88.44m
- Diamond League 2022 Finals: Neeraj Chopra gained another accomplishment when he won the Diamond League Final in Zurich.
- Neeraj Chopra has now won the Diamond League Trophy, making him the first Indian to do it. The expert javelin thrower recorded a throw of 88.44 meters on his second attempt, which was sufficient for him to win the competition.
- Neeraj Chopra registered a throw of 88.44m in his second attempt and he followed it up with an 88m throw in his third attempt and 86.11m in his fourth attempt.
Queen Elizabeth II passes away, Buckingham Palace announces
- Queen Elizabeth II passes away: Queen Elizabeth II, who reigned the UK for 70 years, passed away at Balmoral at the age of 96. After worries about her health grew early, her family gathered at her Scottish estate.
- Queen Elizabeth II saw a significant social change after ascending to the throne in 1952. The King and the Queen Consort will spend today (08.09.2022) and tomorrow (09.09.22) in Balmoral before departing for London.
Padma Shri awardee artist Ram Chandra Manjhi passes away
- Padma Shri awardee Ramchandra Manjhi, whose performance in Bhojpuri folk dance ‘Naach’ for eight decades, has passed away. He was a famous performer of ‘Launda Naach’, a sub-set of ‘Naach’, in which men crossdress as women.
- His passion for the dance form even in old age has brought him several honors, including Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (2017) and Padma Shri (2021).
- Daily Current Affairs in English 11 Sep 2022 – Useful for all Competitive Exams
- Hindu Editorial with Vocabulary: Sep Month – Day 10
- 11 Sep 2022 Daily Current Affairs in Hindi – सभी प्रतियोगी परीक्षाओं के लिए महत्वपूर्ण
- 10 Sep 2022 Daily Current Affairs in Hindi – सभी प्रतियोगी परीक्षाओं के लिए महत्वपूर्ण
- Hindu Editorial with Vocabulary: Sep Month – Day 9
- Daily Current Affairs in English 10 Sep 2022 – Useful for all Competitive Exams