1) Portends (Noun) – पूर्वसूचक
Meaning: be a sign or warning that (something, especially something momentous or calamitous) is likely to happen.
Synonyms: presage, augur, foreshadow
Usage: “the eclipses portend some major events”
2) Ominous (Adjective) – अमंगल
Meaning: giving the worrying impression that something bad is going to happen; threateningly inauspicious.
Synonyms: threatening, menacing, baleful
Antonyms:promising, auspicious, propitious
Usage: “there were ominous dark clouds gathering overhead”
3) Protracted (Adjective) – दीर्घकालिक
Meaning: lasting for a long time or longer than expected or usual.
Synonyms: prolonged, extended, stretched out
Antonyms:brief, short, fleeting
Usage: “a protracted and bitter dispute”
4) Exempt (Adjective) – दायित्व से मुक्त
Meaning: free from an obligation or liability imposed on others.
Synonyms: free from, not liable to, not subject to
Antonyms: liable to, subject to
Usage: “these patients are exempt from all charges”
5) Slump (Verb) – भारी और सीमित रूप से गिरना
Meaning: sit, lean, or fall heavily and limply.
Synonyms: flop, flump, collapse
Antonyms: stand up, sit up
Usage: “she slumped against the cushions”
6) Cascading (Verb) – तेजी से नीचे की ओर डालना
Meaning: pour downwards rapidly and in large quantities.
Synonyms: pour, gush, surge
Antonyms: stop, cease, contain
Usage: “water was cascading down the stairs”
7) Tumbling (Verb) – अचानक सिर के बल गिरना
Meaning: fall suddenly, clumsily, or headlong.
Synonyms: fall down, topple over
Antonyms: improving, increasing, rising
Usage: “she pitched forward, tumbling down the remaining stairs”
8) Reeling (Adjective) – डगमगाना या लड़खड़ाना
Meaning: lose one’s balance and stagger or lurch violently.
Synonyms: stumble, totter, wobble
Antonyms: sober, straight
Usage:”he punched Connolly in the ear, sending him reeling”
9)Imperative (Adjective) – आज्ञार्थक या शीर्ष प्राथमिकता
Meaning: of vital importance; crucial.
Synonyms:vital, crucial, critical
Antonyms: unimportant, optional
Usage: “immediate action was imperative”
10) Distressed (Verb) – व्यथित होना
Meaning: cause (someone) anxiety, sorrow, or pain.
Synonyms: grieve, sadden, trouble
Antonyms: calm, soothe, please
Usage: “I didn’t mean to distress you”
- Hindu Editorial with Vocabulary: Sep Month – Day 10
- Hindu Editorial with Vocabulary: Sep Month – Day 9
- Hindu Editorial with Vocabulary: Sep Month – Day 8
- Hindu Editorial with Vocabulary: Sep Month – Day 7
- Hindu Editorial with Vocabulary: Sep Month – Day 6
- Hindu Editorial with Vocabulary: Sep Month – Day 5