National Teachers’ Day 2022: Celebration, Theme, Significance & History
- Teachers’ Day or Shikshak Divas marks the birthday of the country’s first Vice President (1952–1962) who went on to become the second President of India (1962-1967), a scholar, philosopher, Bharat Ratna awardee, Dr Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan. He was born on September 5 in the year 1888.
- But teachers’ day was first observed in the year 1962 on his 77th birthday. He was a teacher who turned out to be a philosopher, scholar and politician. He dedicated his entire life to working towards the importance of education in people’s lives.
- The theme for this year’s teachers’ day is ‘Leading in crisis, reimaging the future.’
International Day of Charity observed on 5th September
- The International Day of Charity is observed on September 5. On this day, philanthropic and humanitarian efforts of any kind are honoured. September 5 was chosen to celebrate the day because it is Mother Teresa’s death anniversary.
- She devoted her life for charity and helping people in need. Her compassion and giving nature had made her a revered figure worldwide. Mother Teresa received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 for “work undertaken in the struggle to overcome poverty and distress, which also constitute a threat to peace.”
- September 5 was declared as the International Day of Charity, by a resolution adopted by United Nations General Assembly (UNGA), on December 17, 2012. The resolution was co-sponsored by 44 UN member nations.
Rajnath Singh To Visit Mongolia For The First Time
- Defence Minister to hold bilateral talks to further consolidate defense cooperation between the two countries. He will also travel to Japan for the 2+2 Ministerial dialogue. In a first, Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh is scheduled to visit Mongolia from September 5 to 7.
- “The upcoming visit is the first-ever visit by an Indian Defence Minister to Mongolia and will further consolidate the defense cooperation and strategic partnership between the two countries,” the Defence Ministry said. He is also scheduled to travel to Japan for the 2+2 Ministerial dialogue.
Central govt female staff to get 60-day maternity leave in early child death
- Special 60-day maternity leave: Central govt female staff to get special maternity leave of 60 days. The leave will be granted in the event that a baby is lost before or during delivery, or if the infant passes away shortly after birth.
- A directive in this regard was issued by the Department of Personnel and Training. In accordance with the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, the decision was taken.
- A baby born at or after week 28 of gestation may be said to have died still. Up to 28 days after delivery may be used to identify the situation of a child dying soon after birth. The time between conception and delivery is known as the gestational period.
Meghalaya CM Conrad K Sangma launched the ‘Rural Backyard Piggery Scheme’
- Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma has launched the ‘Rural Backyard Piggery Scheme’ to ensure the farmers earn a sustainable livelihood through different livestock farming activities.
- The Chief Minister said that the government through different welfare schemes is successfully providing income generation opportunities and economic prosperity to the farmers.
- The government has earmarked Rs 15.18 crore under which four high-yielding improved varieties will be distributed to 6000 families.
- The Meghalaya Chief Minister informed that additional Rs 25 crore will be earmarked to roll out the second phase of the program.
- To make the state self-sufficient in pork, the government is implementing one of the largest piggery development programs the ‘Meghalaya Piggery Mission’.
- Under this mission, zero interest loan is provided for setting up fattening and pig breeding. So far 250 piggery cooperative societies have availed loans amounting to Rs 43.67 crore.
UP: Bhartaul becomes First Village in State to have RO Water in Every Household
- Bhartaul has become the first village in Uttar Pradesh to achieve the distinction of supplying RO water to every household. Bhartaul is located in Bithiri Chainpur block of Bareilly.
- It has around 7,000 people and every household is provided with clean and safe RO water. The installation of RO has been under the Adarsh Gram Panchayat initiative enabling the Village to get access to clean drinking water.
- Till now, four RO plants have been installed in the village and more ROs are underway. These RO plants have been connected to the main supply tanks which helps to provide clean water to every household.
Nation first-ever “Night Sky Sanctuary” to be set up in Ladakh
- India’s first-ever ‘night sky sanctuary’ will be set up within the next three months in Hanle, Ladakh, Union Minister of Science and Technology, Jitendra Singh. This is a unique and first-of-its-kind initiative by the Indian government.
- The proposed dark sky reserve will be located at Hanle, Ladakh, and will boost Astro-tourism in India, according to a statement released by the Union Ministry of Science and Technology.
- The night sky sanctuary will be set up as part of the Changthang Wildlife Sanctuary, the world’s second-largest nature reserve. The new project will be one of the world’s highest-located sites for optical, infrared, and gamma-ray telescopes.
Secretary General Lok Sabha Utpal Kumar Singh gets charge of Sansad TV
- Rajya Sabha Chairman and Lok Sabha Speaker jointly decided that Utpal Kumar Singh, currently holding the post of Secretary General Lok Sabha, will additionally charge the functions of CEO Sansad TV.
- Ravi Capoor has been relieved of his duties as the Chief executive officer (CEO) of Sansad TV. Sansad TV was launched in September 2021 after merging the Lok Sabha TV and Rajya Sabha TV channels.
- The 24-hour channel, through its content, showcases the democratic ethos and the functioning of democratic institutions of the country with an aim to target national and international audiences. In February 2021, the decision to merge Lok Sabha TV and Rajya Sabha TV was taken and Ravi Capoor- a retired IAS officer, was appointed as its CEO in March.
Captain B K Tyagi as the new CMD of Shipping Corporation of India
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has signed off on the proposal to appoint Captain Binesh Kumar Tyagi as the new chairman and managing director of Shipping Corporation of India Ltd (SCI).
- The appointment is for five years from the date of assumption of charge of the post, or till the date of his superannuation, or until further orders, whichever is the earliest, according to an official order issued by the Department of Personnel and Training.
IndusInd Bank and ADB collaborate to improve financing for supplier chains
- IndusInd Bank and ADB collaborate: IndusInd Bank, a private lender, announced a partnership with the Asian Development Bank (ADB) to support and promote supply chain finance (SCF) solutions in India.
- With an initial investment of Rs 560 crore, the IndusInd Bank claimed it had signed a partial guarantee program with Asian Development Bank (ADB) with the sole purpose of pushing SCF solutions in India.
- The cooperation of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) will support a number of IndusInd Bank activities in this area as it tries to increase its presence in MSME lending.
- The IndusInd Bank has started a number of strategic initiatives with SCF as a focal area, including the introduction of new product structures for SCF.
- The IndusInd Bank recently debuted early credit, a cutting-edge digital site for SCF, enabling 24-7 seamless processing of SCF transactions for businesses, suppliers, and dealers.
India To Emerge As 3rd Largest Economy Of World By 2029
- India is set to become the third largest economy in the world by 2029. A State Bank of India report said India will surpass Germany in 2027 and most likely Japan by 2029 at the current rate of growth.
- The report said that the country has undergone a large structural shift since 2014 and is now the 5th largest economy overtaking the United Kingdom. The path taken by India since 2014 reveals the country is likely to get the tag of 3rd largest economy in 2029, a movement of 7 places upwards since 2014 when India was ranked 10th, it said.
Unemployment Rate Falls From 7.6 % in April to June this Year: PLFS
- The unemployment rate in India for people aged 15 years and above in urban areas declined to 7.6 percent from April-June 2022 from 12.6 percent a year ago, the National Statistical Office (NSO) said on 31 August.
- From April-June 2021, joblessness was high in the country mainly due to the staggering impact of Covid-related restrictions. The latest data underlined a decline in the unemployment rate amid an improved labor force participation ratio, pointing toward a sustained economic recovery from the shadow of the pandemic.
CCRAS ‘SPARK’ Program to Support Innovative Research in Ayurveda
- The Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Sciences (CCRAS) takes a unique initiative to support the research efforts of the upcoming bright mind of India.
- CCRAS has developed the Studentship Program for Ayurveda Research Ken (SPARK) for Ayurveda students (BAMS) in recognized Ayurveda colleges.
- SPARK Program has been developed by the CCRAS to support the young minds of the students and to promote the culture of evidence-based scientific research in the field of Ayurveda.
- SPARK Program will help the students to develop an acumen for research and to support their research ideas.
- SPARK Program aims to support the research ideas of the young upcoming students across all the Ayurveda colleges in India.
- The application process for the SPARK Program will be done online mode.
- The selected students will be offered financial support of Rs. 50,000 under this fellowship.
Summits and Conferences
Dubai hosts the first Homeopathy International Health summit
- First Homeopathy International Health summit: The first Homeopathy International Health summit hosted by Dubai aimed to teach and promote a homeopathic system of medicine, medications, and practices.
- Burnett Homeopathy Pvt Limited, a company that deals with homeopathic dilutions, mother tincture, lower trituration tablets, and unique medicines including drops, syrups, skincare, hair care, and other homeopathic remedies, organized the summit.
- Homeopathy is one of the greatest techniques to treat any sickness or ailment because its negative effects are so minimal in comparison to others.
- The first global homeopathy health summit was also attended by a large number of top doctors from both India and throughout the world.
Former US president Barack Obama wins an Emmy award for his narration of the Netflix documentary
- The former President of the United States Barack Obama won Emmy Award for his narration in the Netflix documentary “Our Great National Parks”.
- Obama already has two Grammys and is now halfway to an EGOT- the achievement of having won all four of the major American entertainment awards i.e. an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar, and a Tony.
- The five-part Netflix documentary produced by “Higher Ground” productions, Barack and Michelle Obama’s production company, features national parks from across the globe.
Leh in Ladakh all set to Host First-Ever Mountain Bicycle World Cup
- Leh is all set to host the first-ever Mountain Bicycle, MTB, World Cup- the ‘UCI MTB Eliminator World Cup in India. The ‘UCI MTB Eliminator World Cup’ will be organized in collaboration with the Administration of Union Territory of Ladakh and the Cycling Association of India.
- The Ladakh leg of the Eliminator World Cup is part of ten professional race series held in various cities across the world.
- UCI MTB Eliminator World Cup is going to be s short track race with Cross Country Eliminator, XCE, the format of five hundred meters with natural and artificial obstacles.
- In this upcoming event, a total of 20 international, 55 national, and local cyclists are going to participate. Since the UCI MTB Eliminator World Cup is going to be held for the first time in India, all cyclists are excited about the event.
Former Tata Sons chairman Cyrus Mistry passes away
- Former chairman of Tata Sons, Cyrus Mistry has died in a road accident while en route from Ahmedabad to Mumbai. Mistry was aged 54 years. He was traveling with Jahangir Dinshaw Pandol, Anahita Pandol, and Darius Pandol.
- Mistry is survived by his wife Rohiqa and their two sons. Cyrus Pallonji Mistry was an Indian-born Irish businessman. Mistry, who was the sixth chairman of Tata Sons, was ousted from the position in October 2016.
- He had taken over as the chairman in December 2012 after Ratan Tata announced his retirement. N Chandrasekaran later took over as Executive Chairman of Tata Sons.
Noted historian B. Sheik Ali passes away recently
- Noted historian and first Vice Chancellor of Mangalore and Goa Universities Professor B. Sheik Ali passed away.
- He was the general president of the Indian History Congress at its 47th Session in 1986 and the founder president of the South India History Congress in 1985. He is a recipient of the Rajyothsava award and has authored a total of 23 books in English.
- He was the recipient of the prestigious Golden Jubilee Award of Mysore University for research in Humanities and Social Sciences, Rajyotsava award for Distinguished Educationist, Mythic Society of India Award for Distinguished Historian, and Maulana Jauhar Award in 2003.
- Daily Current Affairs in English 11 Sep 2022 – Useful for all Competitive Exams
- Hindu Editorial with Vocabulary: Sep Month – Day 10
- 11 Sep 2022 Daily Current Affairs in Hindi – सभी प्रतियोगी परीक्षाओं के लिए महत्वपूर्ण
- 10 Sep 2022 Daily Current Affairs in Hindi – सभी प्रतियोगी परीक्षाओं के लिए महत्वपूर्ण
- Hindu Editorial with Vocabulary: Sep Month – Day 9
- Daily Current Affairs in English 10 Sep 2022 – Useful for all Competitive Exams