1) Catastrophe (Noun) – विभीषिका
Meaning: an event causing great and usually sudden damage or suffering; a disaster.
Synonyms: disaster, calamity, cataclysm
Antonyms: salvation, godsend
Usage: “an environmental catastrophe”
2) Frayed (Verb) – उधेड़ना
Meaning: unravel or become worn at the edge, typically through constant rubbing.
Synonyms: unravel, wear
Antonyms: pristine, new, current
Usage: “cheap fabric soon frays”
3) Galvanising (Verb) – झटका या चौंका देना
Meaning: shock or excite (someone) into taking action.
Synonyms: jolt, shock, startle
Usage: “the urgency of his voice galvanized them into action”
4) Compliance (Noun) – अनुपालन
Meaning: excessive acquiescence.
Synonyms: acquiescence, agreement, assent
Usage: “the appalling compliance with government views shown by the commission”
5) Culminated (Verb) – समापन हुआ
Meaning: reach a climax or point of highest development.
Synonyms: peak, climax, reach a pinnacle
Antonyms: start, begin, peter out
Usage: “weeks of violence culminated in the brutal murder of a magistrate”
6) Scramble (Verb) – अपना रास्ता बनाना
Meaning: make one’s way quickly or awkwardly up a steep gradient or over rough ground by using one’s hands as well as one’s feet.
Synonyms: clamber, climb, crawl
Antonyms: calm, order, organisation
Usage: “we scrambled over the damp boulders”
7) Tenuous (Adjective) – बहुत कमजोर
Meaning: very weak or slight.
Synonyms: slight, insubstantial, flimsy
Antonyms: convincing, substantial, strong
Usage: “the tenuous link between interest rates and investment”
8) Contingent (Noun) – आकस्मिक
Meaning: subject to chance.
Synonyms: chance, accidental, fortuitous
Usage: “the contingent nature of the job”
9) Hapless (Adjective) – अभागी
Synonyms: unlucky, luckless, out of luck
Usage: “the hapless victims of the disaster”
10) Surmised (Verb) – अनुमान लगाना
Meaning: suppose that something is true without having evidence to confirm it.
Synonyms: guess, conjecture, suspect
Usage: “he surmised that something must be wrong”
- Computer Knowledge Quiz for all Competitive Exams: Day 3
- Hindu Editorial with Vocabulary: Jan Month– Day 22
- Hindu Editorial with Vocabulary: Jan Month– Day 21
- Hindu Editorial with Vocabulary: Jan Month– Day 20
- Hindu Editorial with Vocabulary: Jan Month– Day 19
- Hindu Editorial with Vocabulary: Jan Month– Day 18