1) Paramount (Adjective) – आला दर्जे का
Meaning: more important than anything else; supreme.
Synonyms: uppermost, supreme, chief
Antonyms: least, last, inferior
Usage: “the interests of the child are of paramount importance”
2) Inflicted (Verb) – पीड़ा पहुंचाना
Meaning: cause (something unpleasant or painful) to be suffered by someone or something.
Synonyms: lay, impose, exact
Antonyms: held, holden, kept
Usage: “they inflicted serious injuries on three other men”
3) Allegedly (Adverb) – कथित तौर पर
Meaning: used to convey that something is claimed to be the case or have taken place, although there is no proof.
Synonyms: reportedly, supposedly, reputedly
Antonyms: dubiously, improbably, questionably
Usage: “he was allegedly a leading participant in the coup attempt”
4) Foe (Noun) – शत्रु
Meaning: an enemy or opponent.
Synonyms: enemy, adversary, opponent
Usage: “his work was praised by friends and foes alike”
5) Implication (Noun) – निहितार्थ
Meaning: the conclusion that can be drawn from something although it is not explicitly stated.
Synonyms: suggestion, inference, insinuation
Antonyms: explicit statement
Usage: “the implication is that no one person at the bank is responsible”
6) Emphasise (Verb) – ज़ोर देना
Meaning: give special importance or value to (something) in speaking or writing.
Synonyms: highlight, point up, spotlight
Antonyms: understate, play down
Usage: “they emphasize the need for daily, one-to-one contact between parent and child”
7) Contagion (Noun) – रोग-संचार
Meaning: a disease spread by close contact.
Synonyms: contamination, infection, disease
Antonyms: advantage, cleanliness, purification
Usage: “through personal hygiene the spread of common contagions is discouraged”
8) Obfuscated (Verb) – अस्पष्ट, भ्रमित
Meaning: make obscure, unclear, or unintelligible.
Synonyms: obscure, confuse
Usage: “the spelling changes will deform some familiar words and obfuscate their etymological origins”
9) Perilous (Adjective) – जोखिम से भरा
Meaning: full of danger or risk.
Synonyms: dangerous, fraught with danger, hazardous
Antonyms: safe, secure
Usage: “a perilous journey south”
10) Hostility (Noun) – द्वेषभाव
Meaning: hostile behaviour; unfriendliness or opposition.
Synonyms: antagonism, unfriendliness, bitterness
Antonyms: friendliness, approval
Usage: “their hostility to all outsiders”
- 16th May 2021 Current Affairs in English
- 16th May 2021 Current Affairs in Hindi
- 14th and 15th May 2021 Current Affairs in English
- 14th and 15th May 2021 Current Affairs in Hindi
- Hindu Editorial with Vocabulary: May Month– Day 15
- Hindu Editorial with Vocabulary: May Month– Day 14
38 total views, 1 views today