International Day of Clean Air for blue skies: 7th September
- The International Day of Clean Air for blue skies is observed globally on September 07 to promote and facilitate actions to improve air quality. It focuses on the transboundary nature of air pollution highlighting the need for collective accountability and collective action.
- It is an UN-recognised day that aims to raise public awareness at all levels (individual, community, corporate, and government) that clean air is important for health, productivity, the economy, and the environment.
- This year’s theme of “The Air We Share” focuses on the transboundary nature of air pollution, stressing the need for collective accountability and action.
India’s First Intranasal COVID Vaccine by Bharat Biotech gets DCGI Approval
- India’s first intranasal Covid vaccine by Bharat Biotech received approval from the Drug Controller General of India (DCGI) for primary immunization against the injection for people above the age of 18. It is India’s first nasal vaccine for COVID-19.
- The Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare Mansukh Mandaviya termed the vaccine a ‘Big Boost’ to India’s fight against COVID-19. Bharat Biotech International Limited (BBIL), is a global leader in vaccine innovation and developer of vaccines for infectious diseases. The BBIL announced that the development of the Intranasal COVID vaccine (BBV154), has been approved for restricted use in an emergency.
Mohla-Manpur-Ambagh Chowki becomes the 29th district of Chhattisgarh
- Chhattisgarh Chief Minister, Bhupesh Baghel inaugurated the newly formed district Mohla-Manpur-Ambagarh Chowki as the 29th district of the state. He also unveiled the map of the district on the occasion.
- The newly formed district Mohla-Manpur-Ambagarh Chowki has been carved out of Rajnandgaon district and created as a new administrative unit. The new district will be under the Mohla-Manpur-Ambagarh Chowki Durg division.
- S Jayavardhan, a 2014 batch IAS officer, has been made the first collector, while Yeduvalli Akshay Kumar will be the first SP of the newly formed district.
UN Slams Sri-Lanka’s Human Rights Record
- The United Nations Human Rights Council on May 27 passed a deeply flawed resolution on Sri Lanka that ignores calls for an international investigation into alleged abuses during recent fighting and other pressing human rights concerns, Human Rights Watch said.
- The council held a special session on May 26 and 27, 2009, on the human rights situation in Sri Lanka, a decade after the defeat of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) by government forces.
- “The Human Rights Council did not even express its concern for the hundreds of thousands of people facing indefinite detention in government camps,” said Juliette de Rivero, Geneva advocacy director at Human Rights Watch. “The council ignored urgent needs and wasted an important chance to promote human rights.” The resolution passed with 29 votes in favor, 12 against, and 6 abstentions.
Kiccha Sudeep named as the brand ambassador of Punyakoti Dattu Yojana
- The Karnataka government has appointed Kannada actor Kiccha Sudeep as the brand ambassador for “Punyakoti Dattu Yojana’ a cattle adoption scheme. The announcement was made by Animal Husbandry Minister Prabhu B Chavan.
- The minister also said that the actor has decided not to charge for being the ambassador of the scheme, which is aimed at encouraging adoption by the public for the purpose of rearing cattle in ‘goshalas’ (cow shelters).
- Sudeep is known for his remarkable role in films such as ‘Pailwan’, ‘Eega (Makkhi)’, ‘Vikrant Rona’, ‘Sparsha’, ‘Huchcha’ and ‘No 73 Shanthi Nivasa’. Sudeep started his career with Thayavva film in 1997.
Mahanagar Gas Ltd appoints Mahesh V Iyer as new Chairman
- State-run city gas utility, Mahanagar Gas Limited (MGL), has appointed Mahesh Vishwanathan Iyer as the company’s new chairman. Iyer was director (Business Development) with GAIL (India) Limited till last month. Gail is the promoter of MGL.
- Iyer is an electrical engineer with more than 36 years of experience in the execution of projects in the areas of gas pipelines, LNG terminals, city gas distribution projects, renewables etc, amounting to Rs.40,000 crore.
- Mahanagar Gas Limited (MGL) is an Indian natural gas distribution company, incorporated on 8 May 1995. MGL is an enterprise of GAIL (India) Limited (Maharatna Company of Government of India) and the Government of Maharashtra.
Airtel partnered with Odisha to offer Bill Payment Solution
- Bharti Airtel has launched a pilot project in partnership with the TP Northern Odisha Distribution to offer bill payment solutions to more than 2 million customers. The pilot project will be mobilized to 4000 Airtel Payment Banks (APBs) in northern Odisha to facilitate the bill payments.
- The company’s ambition is to scale the project across Odisha and eventually partner with other state electricity boards for similar solutions said the Airtel IQ Business head Abhishek Biswal.
- APB has 500,000 outlets across the nation. Airtel IQ is a unit of Airtel’s enterprise business.
- The project is currently at the National Payments Corporation of India certification stage. The certification will ensure that the project has minimal risk of digital fraud.
PSU banks are set to open about 300 branches in unbanked areas by December 2022
- As part of the financial inclusion drive, public sector banks will open about 300 brick-and-mortar branches in the unbanked areas of various states by December 2022. These new branches will cover all remaining unbanked villages with a population of more than 3,000.
- A Maximum number of 95 branches will be opened in Rajasthan followed by 54 in Madhya Pradesh. The public sector banks will open 38 branches in Gujarat, 33 in Maharashtra, 32 in Jharkhand, and 31 in Uttar Pradesh.
- The government is committed to providing financial inclusiveness and support to the marginalized and socio-economically neglected classes through its various schemes, including Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY).
HDFC Bank opened a new SMS banking facility for its customers
- The private sector lender HDFC Bank introduced a new SMS banking facility for its customers. The bank claims that now customers can access a wide range of banking services round-the-clock, 24/7 x 365 no matter where they are.
- With the new SMS banking facility, customers can now check account balances & summaries, apply for loans, manage credit cards, apply for checkbook requests, generate account statements, and more.
- Customers no longer need to remember or type lengthy pre-defined keywords to conduct SMS banking thanks to HDFC Bank’s new SMS facility, which is integrated with AI technology.
Mahadevikadu Kattil Thekkethil chundan wins Nehru Trophy Boat Race
- Pallathuruthy Boat Club, Mahadevikadu Kattil Thekkethil Chundan has scripted its maiden triumph in the Nehru Trophy boat race for snake boats at the Punnamada Lake in Alappuzha.
- The club, led by Santhosh Chacko, completed a hat-trick of wins. A total of 77 boats, including 20 snake boats, competed in this year’s Nehru Trophy.
- Nadubhagom, rowed by Kumarakom-based NCDC Boat Club, and Veeyapuram, powered by Punnamada club, finished second and third, respectively. Police Boat Club’s Chambakkulam came forth. The top nine finishers will fight it out in next year’s Champions Boat League.
Lok Nayak Foundation Sahitya Puraskar awarded to Tanikella Bharani
- Telugu writer and actor, Tanikella Bharani was presented with the annual Sahitya Puraskar of the Loknayak Foundation (18th Loknayak Foundation Award) at an award ceremony held at Kalabharathi Auditorium, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- The Governor of Mizoram, Kambhampati Haribabu, who participated as the Chief Guest, felicitated the award to Tanikella Bharanialong with actor Manchu Mohan Babu and others. Justice Jasti Chelameswar, a retired Judge of the Supreme Court was also present.
Ranks and Reports
Digital India Mission: Uttar Pradesh Tops in Use of e-Prosecution Portal
- Uttar Pradesh, with 9.12 million cases, ranks at the top in the number of disposal and entry of cases through the e-Prosecution portal managed by the Union government under its Digital India Mission.
- According to the figures till the end of August, Madhya Pradesh followed in the second spot at 2.31 million, Bihar with 859,000, Gujarat with 487,000, and Chhattisgarh with 383,000 cases. UP also ranks at the top in the disposal of online cases on this portal, with about 470,000 entries, followed by 170,000 for MP and 125,000 for Gujarat.
- The portal launched by states two years ago is an initiative of the home, IT, and law ministries for helping courts and the prosecution system in accelerating criminal trials in heinous crimes.
NITI Aayog: Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, the Gujarat Top States In Implementing Poshan Abhiyaan scheme
- Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, and Gujarat have been ranked as the top three states among larger states in terms of the overall implementation of the Centre’s flagship Poshan Abhiyaan, according to a Niti Aayog report.
- Sikkim was the best performer among the small states. The report titled ‘Preserving Progress on Nutrition in India: Poshan Abhiyan in Pandemic Times’ further said that 12 out of 19 large states had an implementation score of over 70 percent.
- While Dadar and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu topped among Union Territories (UTs), Punjab and Bihar were the lowest performers among larger states in terms of the overall implementation of Poshan Abhiyaan, as per the government thinks tank report.
Summits and Conferences
Gadkari to Inaugurate Conference Manthan in Bengaluru
- Union Minister for Road, Transport, and Highways, Shri Nitin Gadkari will inaugurate ‘Manthan’ in Bengaluru. He will be accompanied by General Dr. VK Singh, Union Minister of State for RT&H and Civil Aviation, and Shri Basavaraj Bommai, Chief Minister, Karnataka.
- Ministry of Road, Transport, and Highways has organized Manthan, which is a three-day invitation conference cum public EXPO. Mathan aims to discuss multiple issues and opportunities in the roads, transport, and logistics sector and engage with the state.
- The theme of Mathan is ‘IDEAS TO ACTION: Towards a smart, sustainable, road infra, mobility, and logistics ecosystem.’
- In this event, several state ministers, holding portfolios of the ministries of PWD, transport, and industry, and senior government officials from these ministries will participate.
Anishka Biyani won a Gold medal in the Malaysian chess meet
- Six-year-old Anishka Biyani has won the gold medal in the Malaysian Age Group Rapid Chess Championship in Kuala Lumpur.
- Anishka, a first-grade student of Dhirubhai Ambani School, achieved the feat in the Under-6 Open category with an impressive score of four points out of a possible six to clinch the title in the girl’s category.
- Earlier this year, Anishka also qualified as one of the best under-7 players in the All India FIDE rating chess tournament held in Yousufguda, Hyderabad.
Mastercard Acquires Title Sponsorship Rights for All BCCI International and Domestic Matches
- Mastercard has announced its collaboration with the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to expand its strategic outreach to Indian audiences.
- During the collaboration between Mastercard and BCCI, Mastercard will be the title sponsor of all the international matches including men and women, held on the home grounds, domestic cricket matches like Duleep Trophy, Ranji Trophy, and Irani Trophy.
- Also, all junior cricket matches are held in India. The sponsorship and collaboration aim to enhance the connection of Mastercard with cricket lovers across the country. Mastercard has also invested in worldwide sponsorships including UEFA, Champion League, the Grammys, the Cannes Film Festival, and the Australian and French Open tennis tournaments.
Japan’s Kenta Nishimoto won Men’s Singles at Japan Open 2022
- Japan wins the singles finals of the 2022 Japan Open Badminton Tournament in Osaka. Japan is the host country of the 2022 Japan Open Badminton Tournament.
- Nishimoto Kenta, 28 years old, won his first career title in the men’s.
- Yamaguchi Akane, World Champion won for the second successive week in women.
- After three years, Japan Open was held for the first time due to the pandemic and only Yamaguchi managed to defend her title.
- Daily Current Affairs in English 11 Sep 2022 – Useful for all Competitive Exams
- Hindu Editorial with Vocabulary: Sep Month – Day 10
- 11 Sep 2022 Daily Current Affairs in Hindi – सभी प्रतियोगी परीक्षाओं के लिए महत्वपूर्ण
- 10 Sep 2022 Daily Current Affairs in Hindi – सभी प्रतियोगी परीक्षाओं के लिए महत्वपूर्ण
- Hindu Editorial with Vocabulary: Sep Month – Day 9
- Daily Current Affairs in English 10 Sep 2022 – Useful for all Competitive Exams